Friday, April 23, 2010

My First Tri

Somehow my friends convinced me to compete in a triathlon this weekend. I competed in a couple triathlons when I was a kid, but it's something that I've been afraid to do ever since. My first excuse was that I wasn't a runner, and I couldn't run a 5k. That excuse really doesn't work anymore. And anyway, I've been wanting to compete in a tri for a long time. It's actually the reason I began running. I was just afraid. There are so many little details that go into race day... and there is so much money that goes into getting all the equipment! Either way, I figured this is a GREAT first triathlon.

I'm competing in the St. Anthony's Meek and Mighty Triathlon, which is shorter than a sprint distance. It's a 200 yard swim, 5.4 mile bike, and a 1 mile run. Sounds simple, right? Well, that's what I thought until I started training. And by training, I mean, I swam a couple times. Really, I've been nursing a stress fracture in both my feet, so I haven't run in a month. I ran for the first time this week. And it hurt! Also, for the first time this week, I decided to actually try out a real bike (as opposed to a stationary bike). I was shocked at how much the wind affects your riding. Yet another first for this week, I tried biking and running back to back. Now, I've heard that when you switch from biking to running, your legs feel like jello. That's no joke! I felt ridiculous. I could barely run! I think it took me 15 minutes to run a mile.

Needless to say, I'm questioning why I decided to do this. But, I have some good friends who are in it with me, so I'm sure it will be fun. And I love a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment